Next Saturday the 22nd of June the third edition of TEDxValencia is being held. This year the theme of the event is “rewriting the future“. With the team of volunteers, we are selecting the speakers, preparing the webpage and organizing all the details to create an amazing event!
This year I´m part of the “speakers team” and our objective is to select the speakers and to help them to prepare their talks: the content, the structure and the visual aids if they decide to use them.
What is the most important for the speakers at a TEDx event? The organization of TED has established some ground rules. These are every interesting for everyone who has to prepare a speech, not only for TED-speakers: the TED commandments.
Here we go:
- Thou Shalt Not Simply Trot Out thy Usual Shtick.
- Thou Shalt Dream a Great Dream, or Show Forth a Wondrous New Thing, Or Share Something Thou Hast Never Shared Before.
- Thou Shalt Reveal thy Curiosity and Thy Passion.
- Thou Shalt Tell a Story.
- Thou Shalt Freely Comment on the Utterances of Other Speakers for the Sake of Blessed Connection and Exquisite Controversy.
- Thou Shalt Not Flaunt thine Ego. Be Thou Vulnerable. Speak of thy Failure as well as thy Success.
- Thou Shalt Not Sell from the Stage: Neither thy Company, thy Goods, thy Writings, nor thy Desperate need for Funding; Lest Thou be Cast Aside into Outer Darkness.
- Thou Shalt Remember all the while: Laughter is Good.
- Thou Shalt Not Read thy Speech.
- Thou Shalt Not Steal the Time of Them that Follow Thee.
I encourage you to apply these principles to your own talks and I hope to see you at TEDxValencia the 22nd of June!